Fall 2020 Program
Dear Malden Soccer Community,
We hope you are having a healthy summer.
It is time to register for Fall soccer!
Per the recent guidelines and recommendations of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and Mass Youth Soccer, it appears that we will be able to offer good programs for all of our various age groups. These will all follow state-level guidelines, focused on reducing the risk of spreading the virus.
Given several unknowable aspects of the season, we will be offering our fall programs at a reduced cost. In exchange for this reduction, we will not allow refunds in the event the season is cut short or activities are limited.
For intown soccer (Grades PreK through 2/3), we will be focusing on soccer skills and fun. We have decided against games for our intown players. The non-refundable fee for intown soccer is $40. Uniforms will not be provided, and will not be necessary since there will not be competitive matches.
For travel soccer (Grades 3 through 8), it appears that we might have a fairly normal season, including practices and games. The details of exactly what will be allowed or required are expected to change over time, but the state has officially permitted normal youth soccer games to begin with certain requirements. The non-refundable fee for travel soccer will be $60 for those who register before 8/16, and $75 for those who register after. Only new players will receive uniforms, all others must use their uniforms from last fall.
Registrants who still have a credit remaining from the Spring cancellation will automatically have that credit applied to the fall registration. If additional credit is left over, it will remain as a credit on your account for a future season. If you would like to have the balance refunded to you, you can send an email to spring2020@MaldenYouthSoccer.org with all of the following information:
- Player(s) name and grade
- Complete Mailing address for the check
- Name of the person to make the check out to
- Explanation of any mismatches between what you provided and what we have in our system
All Fall activities will adhere to Mass Youth Soccer guidelines. These guidelines change over time based on infection rates, guideline effectiveness, and compliance. It is therefore not possible to guarantee a normal full season, specific activities, or normal rules. A maximum of 1 spectator will be allowed to attend player events, and all spectators will be required to wear masks. Registrants should also expect activities to be cancelled if infections spike or teammates contract COVID-19.
The numbers of players we accept will depend on coach availability and attendance restrictions. Registration numbers will be strictly limited to what can be managed within our guidelines. Players will be taken first come / first serve, so we strongly recommend registering as soon as possible.
Our season will coincide with Middlesex Youth Soccer, which has not been announced. We expect travel team practices to begin in late August, and games to begin in mid-September. The intown sessions will start in September as well.
Board of Malden Youth Soccer
P.S. These are some of the known or expected rules and guidelines which will be enforced for the fall season. There are more. Please do not register if you do not agree to comply with these or any of the other guidelines available in the links above:
- The number of spectators per child will be limited. Recommendation is maximum of 1 spectator per player.
- Spectators must wear masks and maintain 6’ distance from the field and other spectators at all times.
- At-Risk individuals should not attend soccer activity
- Coaches must wear masks and maintain 6’ distance from players at all times.
- Max 2 coaches on a field during practices
- Coaches will not supply balls or pinneys
- Each team must have a covid coordinator who is registered and trained on specific responsibilities. This can be a coach or a parent volunteer.
- Practices will not include contact drills. Drills with high risk of contact must be avoided.
- Travel soccer game rules may be modified, including avoiding throw-ins and headers.
- Intown ages will not play scrimmages or games
- Players must wear masks to and from soccer activities. Masks are not required while playing, but are allowed if desired. If masks are worn during the games, they must be the type that wraps around the ears, not around the neck.
- Players must have their own equipment at every event: Sanitizer, paper towels / wipes, mask, ball
- A player with persistent cough or fever should be sent home immediately. Parents are responsible for keeping kids home who are not 100% healthy.
- Parents must notify the coach and the COVID Safety officer immediately if the player or member of the household is diagnosed with COVID-19.